Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:06:07 +0000
From:      Rob O'Donnell <robert@aphnet.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   merging discs / filesystems

Hi there.

I've got an  4.5 server.  It boots and runs off a 1.2Gb IDE drive - I'm
planning on
upgrading to latest 4.x on a new drive sometime soon....

This server also has five ~120Gb IDE drives mounted at various positions
underneath
/data, and are shared off via Samba and NFS.  Each of these 120's is a separate
filesystem.  Overall, I've got about 20% free space, however some drives
have plenty
of space on them, and some are crammed full.

The question is ... can I merge all these discs into one filesystem so that
I don't
need to shuffle stuff about to make space any more, without losing the data
already
on them, and with the capability to add more drives later?

I also like the idea of adding redundancy, maybe RAID 5, even if it means
buying another drive.  I could do that to help conversion, in any case.

Preserving the data is important because I don't have capacity elsewhere on
the
network to copy everything over, nor backup capacity to copy everything
offline
in any easy fashion.  Current backups only concentrate on critical data and
system files; the rest is replaceable, although I don't fancy the idea very
much!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Rob.