Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:53:11 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > No, actually I was talking about the BSDL; it was other people
> > who borught up that "Abuse of the BSD License" might include
> > inclusion in GPL'ed programs.
>
> Sorry -- I read the above, with preceding quotes, several times and
> just can't make out what you're talking about.  Are you saying the
> BSDL uses the phrase "free software"?  I can't find the word "free"
> anywhere in the BSDL.  Are you saying people who mix the BSDL with GPL
> software may get confused by the term "free software"?  That's then
> clearly their fault for not reading the GPL first.  If neither of
> these, just what are you talking about?

No.  I guess I need to referesh your memory, as to the start of this
current set of threads:

On 06 Apr 2002, Ian Pulsford <ianjp@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
] It is commonly spouted in Linux forums that you take BSD licensed code
] and do what you want with it including putting into your GPL project
] under a GPL license.  On looking closer at the "simplified" license I
] don't see anywhere that it says you can freely relicense code under
] another license.
] (http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html)

[ ... ]

] So where did the idea that you could use BSD licensed code without
] regard for (retaining) the license come from?

Reference to original complete posting:

<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=854607+0+archive/2002/freebsd-chat/20020407.freebsd-chat>;

The answer is that, if the claim is indeed "that you take BSD licensed
code and do what you want with it including putting into your GPL project
under a GPL license", then it is my thesis that the answer to the
question is that there is intentional misuse of language within the
community of the claimants, particularly RMS himself, which could
erroneously lead to that conclusion.

That is what I'm saying, and that has been what I have been saying.

My original response reference is:

<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=869600+0+archive/2002/freebsd-chat/20020407.freebsd-chat>;

And any thinly disguised defense of intentional misuse of the English
language in order to obfuscate the matter is merely that -- an attempt
to obfuscate the matter.

It is very common, in my experience, for radical GPL advocates, in
these situations, to turn these discussions into debates about how many
angels can dance on the head of a pin, thereby losing the main point --
and never speaking to it, only to side details, ad nauseum.

It's very hard to not attribute this to intentional efforts at losing
the main point.

The fact of the matter is that the GPL is an instrumentality of the
GNU Manifesto.

If you don't understand the GNU Manifesto's intent and goals, the
primary of which is the abolishment of intellectual property law,
then you really have no place in a discussion about it (or, in
fact, using the GPL on your code).

If, on the other hand, you wish to offer an alternative hypothesis
explaining Mr. Pulsford's putative observations, feel free.  If I
take issue with your hypothesis, I'll involve myself in the thread...
as I did.  You stated that the license was not required to be maintained
on derivative works, only the Copyright notice:

<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=867057+0+archive/2002/freebsd-chat/20020407.freebsd-chat>;

When I pointed out that the requirement for retaining the notice
was inclusive:

<http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=885718+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-chat/20020407.freebsd-chat>;

and we debated the fine points for a bit, you recanted, as in the
last paragraph of:

<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=932404+0+archive/2002/freebsd-chat/20020407.freebsd-chat>;

The entire "use/utilize" debate is an attempt to discredit an
example of the intentional misuse of language.

Even were this attempt successful (and I do not believe that it
has been), the only thing a success in the redefinition of the
word "utilize" as a synonym for the word "use" would have is to
indicate a poor choice of examples on my part, not that my premise
was invalid (or even valid, to be fair).

-- Terry