Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 23:04:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        brad.knowles@skynet.be (Brad Knowles), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop recommendations in France / Europe?

> I'm an Indian citizen, and I do need a visa for most countries (except
> Nepal and perhaps some other countries in the neighbourhood).
>
> It turns out the model I looked at yesterday has a winmodem (a Lucent
> Technologies softmodem).  There's supposed to be some linux support
> for that now, otherwise I'll have to ask about replacing it with
> something else -- it looks like it's not supported with FreeBSD.

The Lucent Winmodem is supported by two versions of the Linux
driver, ported, and one native version for FreeBSD.

The two Linux versions are a native port of the Linux driver,
and an object driver wrapper to let a binary Linux driver run
in FreeBSD (This _may_ work with other Linux Winmodem drivers,
including the one for the modem in my Sony  Vaio -- I have not
tried this yet).

The native FreeBSD driver was written by Lucent; however, it was
never released, since FreeBSD would not change the module loading
interface to permit parameters to be passed to drivers loaded as
kernel modules, when they are loaded.

This last one was discussed at BAFUG/BABUG last night, with much
blushing by Peter Wemm...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---