Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:34:53 +0100 (CET)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   mirroring-solutions

Hi, I'd like to ask you for some input on a mirroring-topic:

Right now I'm running the box doriath.saers.com. It's having accounts for
about a hundered users, has about 50 web-virtualhosts (running
Apache&PHP), runs a couple of databases under MySQL and it runs DNS for a
couple of domains. That's pretty much all the box does. As I'm no large,
commercial business but only a student, all this has been packed into one
box.

But, a recent downtime because of a disk failure has alerted me. Problem
is, I'm going to be on the other side of the planet as an exchange student
for an entire year. During that time I need the computer to be up. My
users need the computer to be up. As you all know, disks do crash, shit
does happen. So I'd like to be prepared for this.
  My idea is to set up a twin-box which mirrors the entire computer. When
doriath goes down, this mirror-box will replace it. Sounds good, but I'm
not sure about how to solve this practically. What would be nice to is
that if I first have another mirror-box up, this could be used for load
balancing. So, my idea is as following: set up two extra boxes: one mirror
of doriath and one load-balancing server.
  This sounds nice, but I have a few questions even to this:

  - How do I ensure that changes which happen on box a are updated on box
b as well?
  - How do I ensure that changes on myfile on box a and changes on myfile
on box b look like one change on the box? If programming one box I'd use
semaphores or transactions (depending on what I was writing) but how do I
see to it that this goes smooth so that no data is being outdated or
invalid?
  - What software should I use for load-balancing?
  - Can I use this software for all the services described above?

And most of all: what happens if the load-balancing server crashes? Will
both the mirror boxes be unavailable? Because if this happens, we're back
to scratch. Will it be better for uptime that I have one mirror-computer
up and just change the IP on the box when the other one goes down?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter :)

  Niklas Saers