Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:50:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Packages next to ports?

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Peter Korsten wrote:

> I've been wondering for some time, why the packeges (if available)
> arent listed alongside the ports. Personally, I find packeges more
> elegant (a lot like the tarballs for Irix systems).
>
> I can do a search and find the package I want, but not with the
> category list.

This is a good idea and it has been batted around in the past.
The current difficulty is that the ports collection is
continually evolving and the web pages (mostly) track that
evolution.  The packages tend to be built less frequently and on
a different schedule so it is likely that many ports don't
actually have a matching package, or if there is one it might be
for an earlier version.

A solution wouldn't be difficult to work out, but would require
some non-trivial resource consumption to keep the package
collection in sync with the ports collection.

-john