Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 07:30:37 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: external SCSI travan drives

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions for a good external SCSI travan tape drive
> that works with FreeBSD?  Mainly 3.3.
> - techmar travan ns20 external scsi (problems: haven't heard of anyone using
> one with freebsd, has mechanical eject system that may or may not work right
> under freebsd)
> - HP surestore T20E (problems: lots of people say they are total crap)
>
> Any comments?

Any NS20 SCSI will work with FreeBSD. I can verify that the Tecmar will work
fine with FreeBSD, and the mechanism itself is not as flimsy as with most
Travan drives (in particular avoid the Seagate and Tendenburg drives, which
have EXTREMELY flimsy plastic gears that tend to "strip out").

I have not personally looked at the HP Surestore. I will just note that NS20
technology does not appear to be the most reliable in the world. Approximately
25% of the time I cannot verify a backup that I just made, no matter what the
NS20 drive! Perhaps that's just me and the tapes I have and the machine I have,
but it doesn't inspire confidence in me :-(.

-Eric