Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:22:21 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

In message <20000711092233.F26861@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien"
writes:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 03:51:58PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > 3) Many folks who need LPRng will have to install it from the ports to
> >    get all of its functionality.
>
> Then how about we rip LPR from the base system and let people install the
> printing system they need from ports?

This would be a huge step in the right direction.  We should do the
same with Sendmail, BIND, nvi, and every other component of the O/S.
In short everything should be installed (or for those of us who
installworld, registered) as packages, like Solaris or MVS (IBM
mainframe O/S) do.  Let the user decide what to install or not install.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC