Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:44:34 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with SCSI Streamer

As Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > We've been there before, Matt.  /All/ current tape drives have to
>
> Yes, and I didn't agree with some of the conclusions. Yes, all
> tape drives 'emulate'. The QIC manufacturers, from my experience,
> don't do a good job of it.

Which is contradictionary to my experience (and i use them a lot).

Can you elaborate a bit why you think the QIC manufacturer do a bad
job on it?  Btw., there's currently probably only a single one left
(Tandberg), and their SCSI implementations usually belong to the
better ones.  (Let's leave out stuff like Travan here.)

> Let's cut this short. If you're willing to take over SA maintenance,
> please say so.

Well no, i don't wanna piss you off, nor do i have more time at hand
than you.  I'll be happy to eventually finish some long-standing
floppy driver work...  Some of the things there have been in my brain
pipeline for years now.

I once thought about re-implementing `programmable' tape devices, like
they did exist pre-CAM, and are still reported as `available modes' in
the mt stat output.  This would allow people to pre-assign variable
length for, say /dev/sa0.0, and fixed-length (for QIC-150 media) to
/dev/sa0.1, and then use the appropriate subdevice.