Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 22:36:09 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: &current;/&stable; entities for consistent naming

Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com> writes:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:23:52PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> >
> > It's probably of no technical concern, but I like
> > &os.(current|stable);, so I think we should use that.
> >
> > Anybody else have any comments on this or shall I go ahead?
>
> Why not go the whole way and put in &os.release; It seems silly to leave
> it out of the series even though its a snapshot of stable many FreeBSD
> learners might not know that. Just a thought.

-RELEASE isn't mentioned that much in the docs, and when it is it's
mentioned with a number.  When the docs refer to "stable" they usually
mean "pretty much anything on the -stable branch".  Very little docs
refer to "pretty much any release"; it's almost always a specific
release.  Thus, unless we want to make entities for every release
(which is counter-intuitive, since they won't get that much use) it's
rather pointless.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org