Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2015 21:22:05 -0600
From:      Nicholas Fleisher <nfleisher@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newcons and system bell?

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net> wrote:
> HP laptop (intel video and X11) running 10.1-REL-p5 and I can't get
> the system bell to stop beeping both in X and on the console.
>
> I'm running newcons for the DRM and X11 compatibility.
>
> I've tried editing /etc/rc.conf:
> keybell="off"
>
> I've tried:
> kbdcontrol -b quiet.off
> kbdcontrol -b off
>

> neither of which work. Any thoughts? Any ideas for tracking it down?

Try the following in your .xinitrc to stop the beep in X:
xset b off

my understanding is that disabling the console beep is implemented for
vt/newcons in the stable and/or current branches but not in any
release, but will be in 11 when it's released. Others can
confirm/disconfirm. I'm in the same position you are in: using vt
since I need it for my graphics card (Sandy Bridge). And it's great!
Except for the beeps...