Date:      Mon, 05 May 1997 12:31:47 +0000
From:      Wouter de Boer <wouter.de.boer@pobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   2.2.1 Installation -> problems

Hello,

When my harddisk with FreeBSD 2.1.7 crashed, I need to install FreeBSD
again. I received on the same day the FreeBSD 2.2.1 CD ROM.

So I installed this version. However, there where some problems.

- Compiling a custom kernel. When I compiled the kernel again and try to
start xdm, and error occurs with no SYSVSHM support. I never had this
problem before, when I compiled kernels for version 2.1.7. I fixed this
problem by adding this three options to the kernel. Why are these
options removed from the GENERIC kernel file ??
- When I add suppport for my SoundBlaster I see a warning about line 194
of sound\soundcard.c something about 'adintr'. Why ??
- I don't see the device audio0 and the link audio in my device
directory. So I added this two to my device. Onew with the commadn mknod
and one with ln. I add the package nas to my computer and try to start
au. But I see the error:

Fatal server error:
could not create audio connection block info

I never saw this error when I did the same using version 2.1.7. Do I
something wrong ?? Missing something ??

- xload won't work as normal user. Happy for me I asked this earlier and
I fixed the problem, but why is this still unsolved ??

- when I try to run the command 'man cp' for example I see this error:

Formatting page, please wait...Done.
less: not found
Error executing formatting or display command.
system command exited with status 256

never saw this error in version 2.1.7.

- What is the standard directory for apache ?? Version 2.1.7 used the
apache directory /usr/local/www/server/conf. But in version 2.1.7 this
directory isn't used. The directory is now /usr/local/etc/apache/. Why
?? Which is the standard direcory for apache ??

- Maybe a stupid question. When I run moused, my mouse under X windows
won't work why ??

Can anybody help me to solve this problems or give an answer to explain
something ??

thanks,

	Wouter