Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:57:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, "Joel M. Fulton" <jfulton@e3tech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would like comments and opinions regarding desktop OS switch

--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> It is one of the reasons why I stick with FreeBSD now.  Having to
> update a few dozen packages, and all their dependencies in Linux
> tends
> to be a nightmare when you want to compile everything yourself.  With
> FreeBSD, it's all a matter of a few commands:
>
> 	# cd /usr/src
> 	# make buildworld
> 	# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYCONFIG
> 	# make installkernel KERNCONF=MYCONFIG
> 	# reboot [ into single user-mode ]
> 	# mergemaster
>
> I haven't found yet a Linux distribution (or a commercial Unix, for
> that matter) that can beat this!

     # apt-get dist-upgrade

> I haven't mentioned Debian so far.  I do not know much about recent
> Debian distributions, since I'm only using FreeBSD for a couple of
> years now. I vaguely recall 'dselect' and horror creeps up my spine,
> when I compare it to the ports.  I've heard of apt-get but never used
> it.  I'm afraid, I cannot comment on Debian.

to install acroread as example:

  # apt-get install acroread

both FreeBSD and Debian are examples of good design. I find *BSDs more
elegant in some ways and Debian in some others. If you need to do Java
development, Debian might be preferred.... yet Solaris for Intel is
also freely available :-)) it's a bit clunky though.