Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 09:16:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: detecting devfs from userland?

Julian Elischer writes:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > > I think people expect to find their disk listed as: /dev/foobar3
> > > not as /dev/disk/scsi3/unit3/lun2/partion4
> >
> > What's wrong with having both? That is, let /dev/sd0s1 be a symlink
> > to /dev/sd0/slice1. Symlinks could also help the sd0a -> sd0s1a problem.
>
> but sd0a is a different thing to sd0s1a..
> sd0a has a specific meaning..
> it's shorthand for:
> sd0/partitonA
> where sd0s1a is shorthand for;
> sd0/slice1/partitionA
> they imply something.

I'm talking about the "compatibility slice" or whatever.
E.g., on my machine:

/dev/sd0s2b                     none            swap    sw 0 0
/dev/sd0a                       /               ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s2e                     /usr            ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd0s2f                     /var            ufs     rw 1 2
proc                            /proc           procfs  rw 0 0

Isn't /dev/sd0a really /dev/sd0s1a here? That is, sd0 has a normal
partition table.

-Archie