Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:21:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   docs/6980: Handbook addition in kernel debugging section

>Number:         6980
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Handbook addition in kernel debugging section
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE i386
>Environment:

	N/A

	I wanted to do some analysis on a crash dump I had and thus
had to use a debugger.  As I found gdb not good enough for displaying
code and data (I have X11 running after all and with that it can be
much nice) investigated the possibility of using ddd to do it.  This
worked and I think adding a small paragraph to the handbook might help
others in the same situation.

>How-To-Repeat:

	N/A

>Fix:

	Adding the word ddd to the section heading would probably be a
good idea, too.  That is not included in this patch.

*** kerneldebug.sgml	1998/05/29 22:00:49	1.18
--- kerneldebug.sgml	1998/06/18 11:12:17
***************
*** 76,81 ****
--- 76,88 ----
    and voila, you can debug the crash dump using the kernel sources
    just like you can for any other program.

+   Even debugging with ddd is possible.  Just add option <tt>-k</tt> to
+   the command line you'd use normally and that's it.  For example:
+ <tscreen><verb>
+   ddd -k /var/crash/kernel.0 /var/crash/vmcore.0
+ </verb></tscreen>
+   Then you can go about looking at code and data with visual tools.
+
    Here is a script log of a <tt>kgdb</tt> session illustrating the
    procedure.  Long
    lines have been folded to improve readability, and the lines are