Date:      03 Oct 2002 10:56:51 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/43502: Manual page ZNEW(1) has a bug

Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> writes:

>  I think what the manual page means here is that cpmod(1) is currently
>  not availible in the FreeBSD Operating System...

The manual clearly does not mean that it is not available.  It even
seems to imply that it IS available.

It also reads badly; as if it is the -P option which normally maintains
the time stamp.  It also doesn't say what it means to "maintain the time
stamp" or what happens when it is not maintained.

I don't consider it a bug that a Freebsd-standard program breaks if
other standard programs (eg, touch) are broken.  I think it would be
best to replace the whole "Bugs" section with a note like this:

    If, for some reason, a non-standard touch(1) which not support the
    standard "-r" option is used, the non-standard cpmod(1) command
    (available from unknown sources) can be used to support znew(1).
    This support is only needed for the "-P" option and if it does
    not exist, the output file's time stamps will be unreliable.