Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:52:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   screen shots

Hi all,

Excuse me for jumping in late on this but I just bothered to subscribe.
:-)

There was a mention of putting up screen shots for people to look at from
FBSD machines and picking and choosing.  I have my own machine hanging out
here at the long end of 2 T1 lines and a moderate amount of disk space.
I'd be willing to take on the job of collecting screen shots and putting
them up so people could view them.

Ground rules for the screenshots -

 - include a little "readme" file that tells me what apps you have up (if
   it's not obvious), what window manager you're running etc..., and what
   you use your machine for (personal, research, business)

 - if you are running a "theme" from theme-supported window managers, is
   the theme publically available?  If so where?

 - the image - PLEASE no image files that are > say 300 kB (I'm running
   32 bpp at 1280x1024 and a jpeg at 1280x1024 was less than 300 kB from
   the grab)

 - not a rule really, but I'd like to get a cross section of screen shots,
   everything from "wow - that's gorgeous" to "look at the work you can
   do on a FreeBSD machine!" with lots of neat, useful apps on the screen.
   I've got a friend using his 3 FreeBSD machines to help finish his solar
   physics PhD thesis and he'll have both.  :-)

I'll give people a week or so to get submissions to me and then I'll set
up a little "vote for your favorite screenshot" web page and maybe we can
get a few of them up on www.freebsd.org.

Please upload (I really don't want say 20 MB of jpegs sitting in my mail
folder) by ftp'ing to my machine and place them in the incoming
directory to :

	peloton.physics.montana.edu/incoming

and then send me email w/ your description AND the name of the file you
uploaded.  Oh, and don't everyone call theirs "screen.jpg".  :-)

For those who don't know how to grab a screenshot, you have a multitude of
choices - xwd, xgrab (in ports) and xv.  Xgrab works only on 8 bpp
displays, and xwd seems to have trouble at 32 bpp.  XV works great - just
start up xv, get the control window open and right above the quit button
is a "Grab" button.  I use the autograb option w/ a small delay - if you
place your mouse on the root window you'll capture the whole screen - if
you're in a window, you'll only get the window.