Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:24:32 +0200
From:      Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m@icg-online.de>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Distribution Question (Was: Would like comments...)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:19:11 -0700 (PDT) "Rick Hamell"
<hamellr@heorot.1nova.com> wrote:

> > Why is Java support on the BSDs so behind.  I'm just curious as to
why I
> > have to load up a Linux package to use some of the newer features
within
> > the language.  If this were more up to date, I would not have to
dual
> > boot my machine!
>
> 	Because nobody has determined it to be important enough to make it
> native. You can use all the Linux programs you need under
> "emulation," BTW... so why fix something that isn't directly related
> FreeBSD being a SERVER OS?

I am not sure if FreeBSD should really be regarded as a pure server os.
I don't think so.
But anyway, Java is even more important on the server side than on a
workstation. The industrie standard for application server is J2EE (Java
2 Enterprise Edition). Just to name a few: Bea WebLogic, IBM Websphere,
Borland AppServer, ATG Dynamo, Sun/Netscape IPlanet, JBoss, Orion,
Allaire JRun etc.
If you don't want to use Microsofts ASP / .NET solutions you need Java
on the server for the competing technologies around Servlets, JSP's and
EJB's...

Manfred