Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:57:01 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Hunter Peress <hfastjava@yahoo.com>
Cc:        andre@netvision.com.br, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BitTorrent Mirror of 5.0

--t4apE7yKrX2dGgJC

> So:=20
> I understand, its just that we can't do anything but publicize it. We REA=
LLY wish
> that the community could throw 10,000+ people at the torrent...you can se=
e from the
> original email i sent to the list that this amount has been done, but onl=
y for
> illegitimate files. (technically it was 12,000 x 3.1 GB of LOTR2  yes, th=
ats 36 TB
> in one day, and guess how much the server served out of that? 0 bits and =
0 $$ ).=20

Steps to getting the community to use this:

1) Make a working port.  I tried to port bittorrent once, but
something (don't remember what) failed to compile.

2) Post to FreeBSD lists to announce your BT mirror when releases are
made.  Mention why people might want to try it this way instead of
using ftp which they already understand and love.

If it really is a better method of getting the bits, then some people
will see this and start to use it.

Kris

--t4apE7yKrX2dGgJC

--t4apE7yKrX2dGgJC--