Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 17:21:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike D Tancsa <mdtancsa@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd@atipa.com (Atipa)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysintstall probing hosed on -STABLE?

> > Does the 2.2.6 installer do the same thing?  I cycled through quite a
> > few hardware combos on an Award P6 board (Gigabyte), mostly with SCSI
> > disk, but a couple of cycles on IDE too.  The probe process should
> > normally only take a few seconds (maybe 10-15 on a '486).
>
> It usually does! This boot disk has been an anomaly.
>
> > Wait a second - you say the disk is chugging away - is this *after* an
> > installation, running /stand/sysinstall?
> No. during intitial install. Haven't tried since system came up...
>
> > If so, check the console to see if you aren't getting a ridiculous
> > number of error messages.  The 'wfd' driver in particular is a culprit
> > here.
> Yah, I've seen that, but this is not the case.
>

> > If not, then it's possible that your disk is behaving oddly when
> > sysinstall tries to open it to see if it's there, which would explain
> > the chugging noises.  Have you tried a different disk model?  I've
> > never worked with a Fujitsu IDE, so I'm completely unaware of any
> > quirks they might have.
>
> I think that may be the case, since it is the same chugging the disks make
> when motherboard BIOS probes them. When the MB probes, the make 5 burst
> seeks. When sysinstall hits it, it is almost continuous for about 3
> minutes.

I just sort of reproduced something similar just now.  I did the following:

Got a 2.2.6-RELEASE boot floppy on hardware I previously described in this
thread and others

Popped in a Fuji IDE that had NTFS as its only partition.

Booted, all the hardware probed fine.  Did a net install and no problem.

Booted with the same floppy to install again, and the same problem... The
process gets stuck on the final "probing hardware" message just before
the main install screen.  However, this time, I was a lot more patient
than I have in the past.  I let the machine go for well over 5 min, and
eventually, it did come up to the install screen.

	---Mike