Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 11:42:50 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

As Christoph Haas wrote:

> Agreed, but I think that a vendor feels much more "at home" if you can
> address him persoanlly. Just a simple mail saying "Hi, we know that you
> rely on part xyz of FreeBSD, and we want to inform you that it is going
> to change in the next RELEASE, You should have a look at CURRENT for
> what's going on. Bye." would be enough.

...but is difficult enough to handle, either.  Unlike for massive code
changes like the Lite2 merges, the developer often doesn't know that
somebody might be affected by his change.

The only viable way i could imagine is to allow a vendor to `register'
to the commit list by a regular expression to cut down his field of
interest (as opposed to track any and all changes in a wide area as
the commit lists are handled now).  This way, a vendor interested in
tracking all kernel networking changes could subscribe to

	^src/sys/net.*

for example.

>  Remember: FreeBSD rises and falls with the
> applications that are availabel for it. Ever thought about why many
> commercial apps are only available for L* (Star Office, Poet,
> Mathematica, ...) ?!

Certainly not due to the high degree of organization in the Linux
project. :-))  This is the simple critical mass condition, nothing
else, sometimes (StarDivision) coupled with the energy of developers
that are using a particular system privately.

We've been discussing this latter issue to death already, please
followup to -chat if you think you have something to add to it.

--
cheers, J"org