Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 23:47:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Joel Yancey <python@cia-g.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
Cc:        Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>, "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>, Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: cable vs. ISDN

On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >plus, they CLAIM everyone
> >will have 10mbps per house hold, well, considering that theres not thaty
> >much bandwidth to waste for a bunch of web browsing crowd, and they say
> >that there will only be 128k recieve, but 10mbps send. now thats strange.
>
> Nobody claimed "everyone" would get 10Mb/s per household.  I've heard
> many different rates, depending on where you live, and what kind of
> infrastructure is in place.
>
> 1) Regardless, almost every figure I have heard quoted, except for the
> very lowest, are still better than modems.  Many of them are better
> than ISDN, and *much* better than modems.  Who cares if it's 10Mb/s or
> 1Mb/s?  It's still *way* faster than anything else I can connect with.
>
> 2) Without exception, every figure I have heard quoted has the *send*
> side the same or slower than receive.  None of them have the receive
> side slow and send fast.  What would be the point.  Besides, it just
> doesn't make sense.
>
> 3) 128Kb/s is still the fastest ISDN will (currently) go, and several
> times faster than the fastest modem.  Where's the problem?  I'd take
> 128Kb/s in a heartbeat if I could get it at the same price as my
> current modem connection.
ok, i would like that too, but i dont like that idea of not running an ISP.

> >well, First Off,if cable modems were around, ISP's wouldnt be, because
> >the Cable company has taken over the business.
> [...]
> >*I* myself, dont like that opinion, because the cable company doesnt
> >really know what a computer system is all about, and i dont like the fact
> >that then they would have a monopoly.
>
> Who says the ISPs won't still be around?  That's an awful speculative
> jump of logic.
>
> Someone still has to sell the *services*, and who says the cable
> company will even be interested.  Who's going to provide USENET news,
> Web service, login shells?  I doubt my cable company will be
> interested in all that.  Which means my cable company can provide a
> pipe to the 'net, and let someone else sell me the rest.  Sounds like
> a really good market for ISPs.
where do you think the market is? not in providing the lines, but
providing the service. plus, even if it was only true that they would
have to come to an ISP for the connection, thers not enough bandwidth.
then 10Mbps, or even 1 Mbps would drag a T3 down being access by only a
couple hundred people. so wheres the logic in going the an ISP? and ther
will always be AT LEAST 200 people in this god's green earth that will be
using, or your ISP really sucks.
> Also, who says the phone companies know anything more than the cable
> companies.  They've had their thumbs up their asses for so long,
> trying to figure out how to sell us trailing-edge digital technology
> without hurting their business profits, that they may end up missing
> this boat entirely.
>
> Personally, I don't care.  Whoever gets to my house first with a
> digital tap I can afford, with decent performance, will get my
> business.  If it's the cable company, fine.  Phone company?  Well, I
> don't have any love for them, but I'll take what they offer *if* they
> manage to get here first.  I'd say the odds are against them, however.
Obvisouly, your not an ISP. so why would you care. and i dont like the
idea of running a Unix system, and having all this knowledge of runng,
maintaing, programming for, and the like to goto waste because of a TV
Cable company.
>   Michael L. VanLoon                                 michaelv@HeadCandy.com
>         --<  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x  >--
>     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, Atari 68k, HP300, Sun3,
>         Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX, MVME68k, arm32...
>     NetBSD ports in progress: PICA, others...
>
>    Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
>                   If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.

Thank you, but no thank you, cable is bad enough where it's at,
joel yancey
dead.deadend.com