Date:      02 Jun 2000 10:55:37 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        fcash@bigfoot.com
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions

"Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com> writes:
> > > I trust you already noticed that English doesn't share the French
> > > habit of putting a space before '?' and '!'?
> This may just be for Canadian French, but in my 13 years of study and
> use, I've never seen a space before a '?' or a '!' or any other
> punctuation mark.

French typography rules require a narrow space in front of question
and exclamation marks as well as colon and semi-colon, at least when
using proportional-width fonts. I don't know if the same rule applies
to monospace fonts.

>                    I do find it very annoying how they use '---' (em-
> dash) or '>>' marks instead of quotations marks in novels.
>
> As for the different `opening and closing' marks, what was the point to
> those??  I always found them to be very annoying and to break the flow of
> the type.  ``just looks wrong''

They wouldn't if you'd grown up with them.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no