Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:05:42 -0600
From:      GB Clark II <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The alternate FPUEMU (was: IBM's intentions with JFS (was: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)))

On Monday 17 December 2001 05:46, Terry Lambert wrote:
--SNIP--

> The GNU FPU emulator is much less useful (and much less used)
> because of the usefully equivalent BSD version that is the
> default, and because of most modern hardware, wigth the exception
> of embedded systems, coming with FPU hardware already installed.
--SNIP--

Yes, for modern hardware it is of little concern, however,
please note that the "GNU" FPU is not actually under the GPL!  Back in 1994 I
had dug this thing up (it was the at time the default linux emulator) because
I wanted to run ghostscript on a 386 and the our regular emulator (and libm)
would not run it with faults.  That is also why the sun libm was brought in.
After a little help from David Greenman to track down a kernel conflict it
was imported.

It is under a modified license from the copyright holder.
Source only distributions of it have NO chance of infecting the BSD code.
And even binary distributions are not a problem if the source code is
available.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek