Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:21:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Adam Turoff <aturoff@isinet.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd vs. linux and NT chart

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 04:34 PM 3/2/99 -0700, Brett Taylor wrote:

> >That said I see you maintain no ports at all
>
> True. I haven't been asked to. Nor would I want to, if the ports system
> left users in the cold like that.

Hint 1 - no one ASKS people to maintain ports.  Like all of FreeBSD you
volunteer to help.  You could certainly volunteer some of your time to try
to make an a.out ports tree that stays in lockstep w/ the STABLE tree.

Second, as usual, it seems you're happy to complain but not actually
willing to do the work.  Good - that's the kind of volunteer we need. :-P

Please go back to bitching about the GPL and how it will destroy the
universe.

> If it's a problem, it's a problem with the system. Compiling to two
> formats should not be THAT difficult. But if it's REALLY such a big
> deal for you to compile to anything but ELF, why not create a module
> that lets 2.2.x load ELF binaries that use native FreeBSD APIs? It
> sounds to me as if this would merely involve adapting the Linux
> compatibility module for 2.2.x to do this when it saw a
> FreeBSD-branded ELF binary. This module could be brought in as a
> dependency in the port, along with any "upgrade kit" that was
> required.

It's not that it's hard to get it to do ELF _or_ a.out but to be able to
do BOTH in one system.  Until you actually start trying to maintain some
ports and do some work in this area, or let Satoshi explain to you in
simple terms WHY it's hard then it's clear we're not going anywhere.
Face it - the ports tree is a moving target.  If you want to be able to
fix, update, or run ports that have changed or been created since 2.2.8
then move to 3.1-STABLE, otherwise...  Or go find us the 200 or so
volunteers to keep the 2.2.8 ports branch in lockstep w/ the STABLE
branch.

Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *
							  *