Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:53:53 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dg@root.com, Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An idea for promoting FreeBSD

On Mon, 20 April 1998 at 18:08:05 -0700, David Greenman wrote:
>> I've got an idea for helping promote FreeBSD without costing vast sums
>> of money. Why not get together a fully working, but cut-down (i.e no
>> source etc.) version and get it distributed on the cover CD's of
>> computer magazines?
>
>    Incidently, this has happend several times already with FreeBSD. A few
> times I recall immediately in Japan. ...maybe that's why we're so popular
> in Japan. :-)

I suppose you're saying "yes, great idea".  I agree.

The thing is, this giveaway must work smoothly with no problems even
for the biggest idiot.  This means that X is a must, even if it only
runs at 640x480.  There would be a lot of work behind getting this
kind of mini-distribution working.  IMO it would be worth it, but it
would be a catastrophe to send out a version with which the majority
of users had trouble.

Greg