Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:54:25 -0500
From:      Lotus_Mail_Exchange@CSERVE4.CCMAIL.compuserve.com
To:        "INTERNET:hackers@freefall.freebsd.org" <hackers@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   NON-DELIVERY of:  hackers-digest V1 #1659

Sender: owner-hackers-digest@freefall.freebsd.org
From: <owner-hackers-digest@freefall.freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 06:00:08 -0800 (PST)
To: freebsd-hackers-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hackers-digest V1 #1659

hackers-digest          Wednesday, 20 November 1996    Volume 01 : Number 1659

In this issue:
Re: Ipx to ip routing
Re: split speed sio port?
Re: Who needs Perl? We do!
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Kernel calls - args in registers
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Kernel calls - args in registers
Re: arpresolve errors
Re: Voice Recognition (URGENT)
Re: Kernel calls - args in registers
Re: arpresolve errors
RELENG_2_2 and CVS
Recuperating a DOS partition
DLT4000 bootup problems
gated's weirdness (Was: arpresolve errors)

From: Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:00:51 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Ipx to ip routing

> And we want to eliminate the need for so many ip addresses so that we
> can get rid of all the ip address conflicts that we can't seem to trace
> down.
>
> Any one have a good method of finding an ip address conflict?

Don't know about the rest, but typically I would suggest that the above
suggests a certain lack of networking discipline.  :-(

Usually IP address conflicts arise when someone has created a network that
is too large.  I usually become uncomfortable somewhere around 8 or 16
nodes, but then I am a bit paranoid.  :-)

Ideally, in a school environment, each networked classroom or lab should
be on its own subnet, or perhaps several subnets.  When the machines are
configured, use a labeler to note the machine's IP address on the front
of the machine.  Preferably devise some logical mechanism for numbering,
such as sequential numbering, so that when students pull off the labels,
it is still pretty easy to figure it out.

If you do that and keep no more than, maybe, 16 machines on a network,
then you only have 16 machines to check when a problem arises.  If they
are all in the same room, this is pretty easy.

As far as your address space concerns, in your scenario I would probably
consider using 10-net addresses, a proxy Web server, and a NAT device to
provide continued access to Internet services.

The 10-net thing works really nice even for a large school, because you
can use the second octet to designate building, third octet to designate
room, and fourth octet to designate machine number.

... JG