Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:43:47 +0200 (METDST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <ollivier.robert@eurocontrol.fr>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Santiago Zapata: mx records & sendmail

According to Gary Palmer:
> Someone want to add an appropriate question/answer for this to the
> FAQ? It's getting to be a VERY FAQ, and is definate material for the
> FAQ, even after we get the mail handbook section written...
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary

Here we go (no time to SGMLify it sorry):

Q: I want to configure my sendmail to emit only user@domain.name but it keeps
   bombing with a "MX points back to myself" error. What can I do ?

A: To send and receive mail with only the domain part of an address, you'll
   need to do this:

   - use

     MASQUERADE_AS(domain.name)

     in the whatever.mc file you've written in order to change all outgoing
     mail messages,

   - make the MX record for the domain point to the mail server

     domain.name.    IN     MX  10 mailhost.domain.name.

   - insert the following in the whatever.mc file

     FEATURE(use_cw_file)

     Using this feature is easier than just put domain.name in Cw because
     you'll not need to re-m4 the file each time you add a new domain.

   - create a file named by defult /etc/sendmail.cw and add the following:

     domain.name

     in it. "domain.name" is now a "local" address.

--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- Eurocontrol EEC/TIS -=- Ollivier.Robert@eurocontrol.fr