Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 12:22:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        branson@widomaker.com (Branson Matheson)
Cc:        bbecker@flubber.futurecomm.com, joe@smartlink.net, randy@rg.net, dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, postmaster@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat
Subject:   Re: Ethernet Bandwidth Manager

Branson Matheson wrote:

> --------
>
> bbecker@flubber.futurecomm.com uttered with conviction :
>
> > You have a point, but i think he does too.  The posti ng looked to
> > me to be more of a sales-pitch than anything else.  Ad copy do esn't
> > belong in here, does it?  Even the BSDI notes about new versions
> > that you see here, don't sound like a straw-hat-and-cane routine.
> >
> > I'd prefer seeing pointers to ads as a result of some one asking a
> > question.  That gives everyone a choice.
>
>  Yes... but it is also an extra step that can be difficult for those
>  that are accross uucp or read their mail offline.
>
>  Hrmmm.. ok on this note let me ask this question .. ( and I have cc'd
>  to the FBSD Postmaster ), If there were a mailing list for FreeBSD
>  commercial products... freebsd-commercial or some such, how many
>  would be interested ( as I am ) in subscribing to it?

	let me speak here as THE POSTMASTER  ;)

	dennis's mailing was entirely appropriate.  all vendors would do
	well to use it as a guideline.  such mailings should be:

		clear
		relevant
		brief
		contain pointer for more info
		contain pricing

	commercial interest in developing products for FreeBSD is GOOD
	tasteful mailings are to be encouraged, just as inappropriate ones
	are to be discouraged.

	anyone that has a problem with this policy should continue the
	discussion on FreeBSD-chat.  it is no longer relevant to freebsd-isp

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/