Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:21:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Achim Patzner <ap@bnc.net>
To:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs)
Cc:        stefhe@gmx.net, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

> The line that comes to your house ends in a U interface. If you stick an
> NT1 on it, then that converts the U into an

T reference point which is the connection between NT1 and NT2. The NT2's
other reference point is the

> S interface. The difference between the
> two is that only one device can connect to a U interface, whereas
> multiple

ISDN Terminal Equipment 1 (TE1)

>  devices (up to 8) can connect to an S interface

if it is provisioned for that. There is a second type of S bus configured
for permanent activation intended for telephony TAs.

And behind this lies the real of the R reference point which connects
non-digital devices (called TE2) via Terminal Adapters (TA) to the network.

And now someone might tell me why the CCITT needs such a brain damaged
vocabulary to describe the simple facts of life. Besides... no German ever
saw an NT1 itself; ...T. is always terminating its lines using an S
reference point.

Noses.