Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:49:53 -0500
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building new AM2 system, advice needed

So it's been a while, but I'm ready to build a replacement system for my
desktop. It seems a lot has changed since I last built one, and the
decisions (hardware support) are foggier than last time. I'm not so rich
that I can afford to keep buying stuff and sending it back, so I could
use some advice.

My criteria are:

AMD socket AM2 (going to use a 65W Athlon64 X2 Windsor, as Brisbane
doesn't seem better)
DDR2 (800 preferred)
integrated video not necessary (need nVidia DVI card)
integrated sound fine if it works, even basic, but not necessary since
cards are cheap.
NIC needs are basic (10/100), so support of integrated NIC is nice as
it'll save me a slot, but not critical as cards are cheap

SATA2... I'm 99% positive I'll be wanting to do some RAID, at least a
mirroring of my system/OS drive. So it'd be REALLY nice if FreeBSD
supported whatever on-board RAID the MB had, since this will save me
buying a 3Ware card (which are NOT cheap)

I have traditionally gone with Asus motherboards but I read they aim
more for bleeding-edge gamers than the rock-solid stability I expect
from my FreeBSD system. I can't help but wonder how many of my
occasional FreeBSD lockups are a result of that...? I hear that Tyan is
more-stable, however FreeBSD's support for Tyan boards that meet my
needs is questionable/fuzzy. So I'm having a hard time.

Can anyone offer some advice? Even if not specific models,
insight/thoughts/opinions are appreciated too. Once I get the MB picked
out, everything else will fall into place. Thanks :)