Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:34:21 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        dm@globalserve.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

At 3:16 PM -0800 3/22/99, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> I'll be happy to accept donations at FreeBSD, Inc. just as I have
> been all along, but also be well aware of the fact that spending
> donations on NFS is probably the worst possible use of the money.

It depends on the results.  If we turned FreeBSD into a very
reliable platform for serving NFS, it could be well worth it.

> Let's just look at all the "I'll donate some money!" calls so far:
> I've seen a total of $900 pledged

in about six hours...

> Again, assuming rock-bottom rates and somebody truly capable of
> fixing NFS-class problems on the job, it's an easy 90 days worth
> of work and that would be $36,000 in contractor fees.

Indeed.  And here we have a company who is apparently willing
to pay a consultant for 50 hours of that time.  Perhaps it *would*
be a very good use of money (our money -- those who would donate)
to pay for some more of his time, *right now*, if he is already
looking at it, so the job could be "done right" and in a timely
fashion.

And if we're lucky, we might have this new level of NFS stability
in time for release 3.2, or at least in the STABLE tree before
September.

> It'd be far more cost-effective, by comparison, to buy 5 nice
> machines at around $2000 a pop and send them to 5 developers who
> I wanted to guilt into the process of fixing NFS (and anything
> else I could think of).  Even more cost-effective still to simply
> get some 3rd-party company to foot the bill, as appears to be on
> the way to happening now.

I think you underestimate how much of a "mild irritant" this is
to many people using freebsd, and how uninteresting it is to work
on NFS.  If you do think the above would work, then why is it that
we have a thread titled "NFS - will it ever be fixed?".  NFS is
not cutting-edge technology, and it is not new to FreeBSD 3.0.
FreeBSD has managed to go quite awhile without "guilting" anyone
into doing a complete job of fixing NFS.

Besides, if this works out right we should be able to guilt Dan
into donating 10-20 hours of his own time, thus making it even
more affordable for the rest of us...    :-)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute