Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 10:58:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Mindcruft ...

I don't think you can really do that -- every OS has different hardware
that works well with it.

An extremely obvious example in the Mindcraft tests was the choice of RAID
controller.  Worked great with NT, flopped on Linux.  Then Mindcraft tried
to compare that with a different benchmark using a different RAID
controller under Linux, claiming that the other benchmark (I think it was
PCWeek?) was faulty in some way, or that the people who did that benchmark
weren't giving out enough info on how they conducted the test.

However, the RAID controller driver that Mindcraft used was still in beta
development, and was single-threaded, as compared to the heavily tested
and fully functional multi-threaded driver used in the PCWeek test.  I've
heard from other people that the RAID controller used in the PCWeek test
doesn't perform so hot under NT.

Where's the middle ground?  Find some card that performs the same under
both, then test the network infrastructure?  Then people can claim that
the poor design of the RAID driver was using too much CPU, and adversely
affecting the rest of the system.  Or that "in a perfect situation" the
Linux driver could be made to work better than a perfectly tuned NT
driver, meaning the actual operating system was better, and just lacking
in drivers?

Maybe a better way would be to set an amount of money, then let each team
choose the hardware in the budget, based on list prices from the
manufacturers.  Each team gets a $15000 server and then they go head to
head on performance.

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet