Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 01:13:12 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Overhead Displays Was: Slowly going blind ;-)

Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, spork wrote:
>
> >Is it just me, or is the LCD screen easiest to look at for long stretches?
>
> Has anyone done any extensive computing on a projected LCD display? (The
> type that are commonly reserved for presentations.)
>
> I am wondering if that was an enjoyable experience. It seems cool. It
> would also seem to have some ergonomic benefit.

I've worked in an environment that made extensive use of rear-
projection large-screen displays connected to SGI workstations.

They were impressive in size, but not in video features.  We had a little
control box that would allow us to switch any video source, including
the SGIs, between one of four video monitors, the large screens, or the
large screens in quarter-screen mode.

The bad part was the video control box, which was designed for video
signals from half-inch tape drives (Beta).  The entire video system
ran at 30 Hz, including our computer displays.  They looked quite
acceptable for our uses, but you wouldn't want to read code on them.

And size?  Our small "briefing rooms" used 25" video monitors and 45"
rear-projection displays, the "auditorium" used 37" video monitors and
108" rear-projection displays.  'dogfight' looked great on those from
the 14th row of seats, where the keyboard/mouses for the workstations
were located.  ;^)