Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:40:04 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        "Abdullah Bin Hamad." <arabian@nac.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs SunOS/Solaris

> Why someone would choose FreeDSD for his ISP instead of SunOS/Solaris ?

Price, access to source code, speed, stability, and of course Chuck. :-)

> Should the ISP run the mail server on differnet machine, and named on
> saprate machine ..etc?

To take this specific example, the mail server should probably be
running a caching named to reduce ethernet traffic, even if it's not
directly used by customers.

In general, splitting the services up like this is a good idea,
both to reduce the impact if the box fails and to make tracking down
problems easier. Using a free OS makes this job a lot easier since you
aren't paying one license per machine. I would much prefer to run
core services on a larger number of less well specced machines than
to run many services on one or two fast machines.