Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 95 3:47:35 CDT
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Salute to a Box

It always saddens me to decommission a machine.  mycogen.sol.net has been
answering phone lines here at Solaria since December 26, 1993, and ran the
very first version of FreeBSD.  An older 386DX/16 with 4MB of RAM and dual
MFM disks, it has admirably and reliably fulfilled its duties, answering the
phones, and later handling incoming telnet sessions as well.

It was upgraded to 1.1.GAMMA on April 18, 1994, and continued to run that
version of FreeBSD until it was decommissioned this evening, September 10,
1995.  During that time, it answered uncounted thousands of calls, and never
once crashed in a state that required any intervention on my part...  and
the occasional crash and automatic reboot was a rarity.

That first box got FreeBSD's "foot in the door" at Solaria, which had been a
Sun shop up to that point.  Now, I am mostly a FreeBSD shop, with one lone
Sun still chugging away, and that is slated for decommissioning in the near
future, to be replaced by a nice high end FreeBSD system.

It is a sad day, retiring that last 1.* based system.  Fortunately, the 2.*
based system which will replace it will probably be at least as reliable.

(The machine is being retired because it uses DIP memory, has no kernel
sources around any more, and I needed to add more ports.)

All I can say is, THANKS EVERYONE!  It's a great operating system and the
future is looking good!  Everyone's efforts in producing this excellent
operating system is extremely appreciated.

... Joe