Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2018 08:56:39 +0100
From:      Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate@gmail.com>
To:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@nethead.se>
Subject:   Re: which limit is hit here?

Hi Per,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 8:41 AM, Per olof Ljungmark <peo@nethead.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A process "squatter" from Cyrus-IMAP version 2.5.11 exits with signal
> 11. The purpose of the process is to create an index of the content in a
> mailbox.
>
> On large mailboxes, squatter coredumps, the final message from truss reads:
>
> mmap(0x0,700448768,PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANON,-1,0x0) =
> 34783363072 (0x819400000)
> mmap(0x0,936334732,PROT_READ,MAP_SHARED,107,0x0) = 35483811840
> (0x843000000)
> SIGNAL 11 (SIGSEGV)
> process killed, signal = 11 (core dumped)

to me this looks like the error is happening *after* mmap() returned
successfully - most likely because "someone" miscalculates some pointer and
tries to access an unmapped address. Maybe (but that's conjecture),
PROT_READ is wrong here and someone is attempting to write to that mapped
region; I'm not 100% sure though whether that'd actually trigger SIGSEGV.

I'd suggest you do something like
$ gdb squatter core
(gdb) bt

and look at the output, and maybe go to the maintainers of Cyrus-IMAP...

HTH
Michael

--
Michael Schuster