Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 23:18:51 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

It all started with the AT&T vs BSDI lawsuit it literally scared away
hackers from 386bsd. We also lost Bill Jolitz mostly due to the death
of his father there were other factors however I believe that was
the predominant one.  Imagine if the Linux community early on
had lost Linus .

AT&T prohibited the core team from using the BSD4.4 code so it forced the
core team to move to BSD4.4-lite and the usual instabilities that
come with such move . The migration took about a year.

FreeBSD culture adopted a quiet type attitude and the linux culture
adopted in your face type attitude of demanding people to run linux.

In the meantime , the freebsd types thought that they were not quite
ready for prime time and the linux folks claimed Hey I am up and running
come and joins we are great we are fantastic we walk on air!

Let us warp in time to 1997:

1. Whistle wins best network appliance at Comdex's fall '97 and FreeBSD
gets 0 recognition or mention. http://www.freebsd.org fails to capture
the moment.

2. David Filo co-founder of Yahoo writes a nice article pro FreeBSD however
   the article literally goes unnoticed.

3. http://www.thinker.org goes on-line  perhaps the single largest
   image database in the world and gues  what it is all FreeBSD.
   Additionally, we have failed to market ftp.freebsd.org which
   is also probably the biggest ftp site in the world.

3. Corel announces NC for Linux!

	NCI has been deploying NC Client (NetBSD) , NC Server (FreeBSD)

	On a Red Herring Issue where Larry Ellison was predominantly
        on the Front Page : Bill Gates states that NC client / server
        is not that feasible in the PC arena because PC servers can
        not serve that many clients . Larry Ellison's response:
	I can with my PC server < silent omission of FreeBSD)

4. Oracle's database runs on FreeBSD however it is not marketed by
   Oracle nor by NCI however it is used on NCI's Server.

In brief, FreeBSD is not currently being recognized because we have
failed to capture the moments, our great success stories are not
marketed at all,  and we are almost destructively silent
about the prowess of FreeBSD.

The good news is that currently perhaps the world is going to start
looking for alternative OS solutions and since the server like
orientation that our core team has taken us , we are now
a strong server alternative and our desktops are very very
stable. Additionally, our  ports/package repository and our client/server
software update cvs sup makes us a formidable platform . This is
not lip service this is the way I see FreeBSD.

	*We need marketing and apps that is all*

	Enjoy,
	Amancio