Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:49:13 +0000
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu, martster@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: how to dual boot

> The only odd thing is if the FreeBSD MBR detects a bootable slice with
> a filesystem type it does not know such as NTFS, it identifies it in
> the menu as '???' rather than with a name.

I'm triple-booting FreeBSD, NetBSD and that penguin thingy.  NetBSD's
fdisk(8) allows setting the menu labels to whatever string you want.
(limited to ~8 chars due to limited space in the MBR)
NetBSD's fdisk also automatically figures out how much space you
have left as you add partitions (er, "slices" in FreeBSD-speak).
On the other hand, if you want/need overlapping partitions/slices
for some reason, FreeBSD's fdisk will do it and NetBSD's will not.
(according to the man pages, I didn't try it)

For even more user-programablilty, grub has some nice features.
But doesn't fit in the MBR.