Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 22:20:38 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SYSCONS PROBLEM IDENTIFIED

In message <199509191745.KAA10194@phaeton.artisoft.com> Terry Lambert
    writes:

>> >That is, the clear sreen/area/character operations on a console should
>> >take the color into account as if the attributes were at state 0 instead
>> >of using the altered color table.
>>
>> I completely disagree:
>> 1) It is longstanding SYSV console tradition clear all with attribute.

>The SCO Color console, which I wrote the emulation for in the commercial
>comm software products TERM and TinyTERM, does not do this.

Check original Xenix or SCO console and you see it by yourself.

>The curses package (apparently) doesn't expect this.  I can not run elm
>on a SunOS, Solaris, or Linux box without getting a reverse screen.

>> 2) ncurses package takes advantage of this feature when
>> filling screen with color instead of putting spaces.

>I didn't say a color set would not cause this to happen.

>Colors and attributes which map to colors should be treated seperately.

Colors are attributes for true SCO console. F.e. inverse attribute
emulates via colors which can have any value.
Bold attribute emulates via colors too.

BTW:
It is special termcap capability for this case it names: "ut"
it is special terminfo capability for this case, it names: "bce"

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -