Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:42:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney (Gushi)" <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   rclint: two thoughts

First:

With most of the move to git, portlint complains about a missing
#$FreeBSD line, and one of the missing features of git is that it just
doesn't support the usual tagging that cvs and svn gave us.  Is this still
a useful requirement?

(For us, where we have rc scripts that will never be in mainline, adding a
FreeBSD line feels especially dumb).

Second:

In trying to play with rclint both to validate the port I maintain, as
well as some internal rc.d scripts we use at the day job, I'm finding
*most* ports (and a good portion of base) don't pass rclint cleanly.  Is
this something worth pushing pr's (with patches) for, or would that just
waste everyone's time?

I've found some *really* old sed bugs (going back 20 years) in rc once,
and it's clear they've lived there for a long, long time.  I recognize
that sometimes it's better to "if it ain't broke...don't fix it."

-Dan