Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:26:52 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, Si <si@chemicalterrorism.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to use IRC

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 01:25:20AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 03:49:02PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Can someone explain, or give me a URL, how to use IRC? I keep seeing
> > it mentioned in the lists so thought I'd take a look.
> >
> > I've installed the ircatlite port but can't figure out how to set up
> > the Server Settings. I've put irc.freebsd.org in the server: field but
> > when I try to connect I get:
> >
> > * irc.freebsd.org : ERROR : Entry is not enough. You need
> > * irc.freebsd.org : mail address
> >
> > I've put my e-mail address in the mail address: field but still I get
> > this error.
>
> This is an error that freebsd.org gives?  I'd be highly surprised, since
> I use plain good ol' ircII and I do not get this error.  It's most
> likely a problem specific to the client you're using.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I checked out www.irchelp.org but, unless I missed
something, I couldn't find an "Idiots guide to using IRC for the first
time".

I originally installed ircat as it has a GTK interface which I figured
would make it easier for a numbskull like me :) Not so (and the ircat
website is in Japanese), so I installed ircii (which is what real men seem
to use) and this is what I get:

% irc-4.4X
*** Connecting to port 6667 of server change.this.to.a.server
*** Unable to connect to port 6667 of server change.this.to.a.server: Unknown
+host
*** Use /SERVER to connect to a server

[at this point I type ``/SERVER irc.freebsd.org'']

*** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freebsd.org
*** Looking up your hostname...
*** Checking Ident
*** Found your hostname
*** No Ident response
*** Notice -- You need to install identd to use this server
*** Closing Link: m370-mp1-cvx3a.bre.ntl.com (Install identd)
*** Connection closed from irc.freebsd.org: Remote end closed connection
*** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freebsd.org
*** Looking up your hostname...
*** Found your hostname, cached
*** Checking Ident
*** No Ident response
*** Notice -- You need to install identd to use this server
*** Closing Link: m370-mp1-cvx3a.bre.ntl.com (Install identd)
*** Connection closed from irc.freebsd.org: Remote end closed connection
*** Unable to connect to server irc.freebsd.org
*** Use /SERVER to connect to a server

:-/ What should I be doing.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie