Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 11:32:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      tporczyk@netcom.com (Tony Porczyk)
To:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   where are the ports on the FreeBSD disk?

Hi,

I've been searching through the FreeBSD 2.0 CD, and I'm having problems
finding the ports in the /ports directory.  For example, under kermit I
find:

./00_TRANS.TBL
./files/00_TRANS.TBL
./files/dot.kermrc
./files/Makefile.sed
./files
./Makefile
./patches/00_TRANS.TBL
./patches/patch-aa
./patches/patch-ab
./patches
./pkg/00_TRANS.TBL
./pkg/COMMENT
./pkg/DESCR
./pkg/PLIST
./pkg
./scripts/00_TRANS.TBL
./scripts/configure
./scripts

As you can see, under pkg directory there are no packages.  Am I
confused here?  Why is this ports directory on the disk at all if there
are no ports in it?  I looked at files like ROADMAP, but it doesn't even
mention the ports directory.

Also, are you planning to release a later version of FreeBSD with ALL
the stuff ported, precompiled, etc., sort of like the InfoMagic 4 CD
Linux set?

At my place of work we are thinking of using FreeBSD in the classrooms,
but we would like to buy everything on CDs, not have to search around
the net for software.  Currently, for that reason, there are voices
suggesting to use Linux.  Is there hope?

Thanks,

Tony