Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:50:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@guardian.fortress.org>
To:        Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: curious kernel log messages

Actually, you might have run out of open file handles in the kernel.
This is directly affected by the MAXUSERS setting which if not defined is
derived from the number of users setting in the kernel using the following
forumula

MAXFILES = 2 * (20 + 16 * MAXUSERS)

See /sys/conf/param.c for how all this stuff is calculated.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Bill Vermillion wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 01:06:37PM -0500, Thus Spake bsdnews:
>
> > Yes I have, Just this morning I was reading the daily output logs,
> > and I got a LOT of this:
>
> > file: table is full
> > file: table is full
> > file: table is full
>
> > Yet, all the filesystems have more then enough space left. If
> > someone has an answer to this, please let me know.
>
> I've seen this and then found I had no problem later.  I think it
> was a cron job that ran out of space, and when it aborted it
> cleaned up after itself.
>
> Bill
> --
> Bill Vermillion   bv @ wjv.com

---
Andrew Webster     FULL SERVICE ISP
President          http://www.pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.        Access: PPP - SHELL - UUCP - VPN - ...
P.O. Box 147       Hosting: WWW - Email - DB - Your Servers  - ...
C.S.L. QC H4V 2Y3  tel: 514-990-5911 fax: 514-990-9443