Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:31:07 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP ScanJet 4100c?

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:19:21PM -0500, Anish Mistry wrote:
> On Friday 16 December 2005 08:02 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Guys, is this my big opportunity or what!  :-)
> >
> > 	A friend bought an HP ScanJet 4100c for $15.  For unknoen
> > 	reason, it does not work wsith W-XP, but might this work
> > 	with FBSD?
> >
> > 	Otherwise, I'm looking for a scanner with OCR-ware.  For
> > 	either my W2K box or FBSD.  I finally do have the book I'm
> > 	aiming to scan; I  don;t know what happened to my friend
> > 	with the microfiche of this text.  Zero reply.
> >
> > 	Is there anybody in the Western WA locale who'd be willing
> > 	to lend me scanner with OCR software or tell me what to
> > 	buy that works with FBSD.  For $15, it's worth asking about.
> >
> Check out if sane supports it.  I'm in a similar situation with a HP
> Scanjet 6200C.  The driver on the HP isn't actually a driver so the
> scanner is useless in Windows.  I booted into FreeBSD, kldload
> uscanner, and started xsane, it worked perfectly.  I haven't tried
> the OCR part of xsane, but it should work.

	Whoa, the online sane docs say that 4100C is supported.  The next
	obstacle is the USB jack.  Even my 1999 test e-machine has a usb
	thing hidden somewhere in front.   This box, tao, is a barebones
	box I built in 08/2001; so I'm sure it's got a usb port
	somewhere.

	Do I have to build it into the kernel or what?  IOW, what's the
	deal with USB stuff?  I've had enough headbanging with ye olden
	COM[1234] ports.  But it's time to get my fingers wet.

	thanks!

	gary

	PS:   FWIW: my friend said that something-OCR was built-in.

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix