Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:29:32 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/30202: pointer to pointer to information

--==_Exmh_145952744P

If memory serves me right, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:
> > My concern was that I wanted it to remain good for "whatever version
> > we're on".
> >
> > Perhaps an entity for "current release release notes" would be nice.
> > (Or perhaps I'm just ignorant of the one that exists.)
>
> The release notes are now kept as SGML files, and the rendered
> versions will soon be available on the web site.  This resolves this
> problem quite nicely, since we can just point people at the latest
> -stable release notes (those running -current should be smart enough
> to figure out how to get to the right place by themselves).  However,
> it introduces the problem of what architecture the link should be made
> to.  Bruce, any ideas?

Unfortunately we can't magically determine from within a document what
version of FreeBSD the reader is running, or what architecture they're
running on.  :-)

I personally liked the place where Michael pointed to, because we punt
this decision off to the reader (I sure hope they can navigate around
releases/ to figure out what version and architecture they're running
or else they're going to have bigger problems!).  But I'd change the
text to read something like this (sorry for not doing a diff here):

<para>See the complete list in the Hardware Notes for the version of
FreeBSD being installed.  The Hardware Notes for all released versions
of FreeBSD can be found on the <ulink url="http://www.FreeBSD.org/
releases/">FreeBSD Release Information</ulink> page.</para>

FWIW I think any of the three proposals (Michael's, Dima's, or mine) is
better than what we're doing right now, which I guess was Michael's
original point.

Cheers,

Bruce.

PS.  Dima, I'm thinking about how we should put the rendered versions of
-RELEASE release notes on the Web site...in theory we could rebuild
those the same way you have planned for 4-STABLE and CURRENT, just with
different tags, although I was wondering if it might be worth the time/
space tradeoff to dump rendered versions into the www/ CVS repository.
But that's a different issue altogether.

--==_Exmh_145952744P

--==_Exmh_145952744P--