Date:      Tue,  5 May 1998 08:27:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/packages--misunderstood

> [ Jordan K. Hubbard said: ]
>
> Blech.  I don't participate in dicussions there because their
> braindead (sorry, braindead) discussion threader makes it too darn
> difficult to figure out where the discussion is at any given point and
> which of the many independent threads one should reply to.  It's just
> not worth the hassle when I can just stick to NEWS (which has its own
> problems, yes, but at least they're tractable ones for me).

Oh, indeed I was not saying participate in discussions. I never do either.
slashdot.org is filled with too much FUD (I check the pages just to see
"other" developments and announcements, like The Gimp, etc.).

> [ snip ]

> We finished our own 1st generation packaging technology several years
> back and are now simply struggling with having become stuck on our way
> to implementing the 2nd. :(

forgive my ignorance, but what are the problems with the current
ports/packages system? I'm truly curious because as an end-user, I think
the system works rather nicely.

> In any case, it's forward rather than lateral movement that we need
> right now and switching to someone else's 1st generation technology
> would be an example of lateral (if not backward) movement.

Absolutely. I was -NOT- advocating having FreeBSD move to anything that
the linux community has come up with. I was merely posting a reference to
something where some linux folks were arguing about whose distribution
method was best, blah blah blah. That is one thing I think is cool about
FreeBSD--EVERYTHING is "synced" to a release. You know that port XYZ is
going to work when you type "make". No need to argue what format is best.
That's the point I was trying to make reference too (for people that might
be reading this list wondering the age-old question "Linux vs. FreeBSD").

Cheers,

-Jr