Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:12:39 -0800
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        smaginnity@ccw.vic.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Download the whole ports tree

> Message: 20
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 02:01:37 -0500
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
> Subject: Re: Download the whole ports tree
> To: Simon Maginnity <smaginnity@ccw.vic.edu.au>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 03:32:33PM +1100, Simon Maginnity wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >                     I have unlimited bandwidth for the next month or so and
> > will not have access to the net again for a few month?s after January. What
> > I would like to do is grab a copy of the whole freeBSD ports tree while I
> > can, so I can just play with different programs and things at will on a test
> > server. Really just for my own amusement.
> >
> > Is it possible to get a copy of the whole ports tree down if I have enough
> > free space etc etc, or just a copy of one branch like www???
>
> The ports tree is not all that large..are you asking about fetching
> every port distfile?
>
> Kris

Well,

portupgrade -FRaN

sounded promising, but upon further reflection, I suspect that would
fetch only distfiles for those ports which are already installed, plus
any new dependencies that are not yet installed.

Perhaps we need a meta-port which includes _everything_ as a build
dependency.  Then you just fetch that.