Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:25:29 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, nik@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: should i be using sgml or xml?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:27:38PM -0600, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Hey, I noticed that people are going all XML for docbook, should
> I look at that or stick with sgml?

  That depends on your requirements, there isn't going to be a very
big difference if you are just looking at this from an authoring
perspective.  If you're evaluating toolchains for different
publication requirements then the details could be very important
indeed.  The DSSSL toolchain still has better support than the XML-FO
backend used by XSLT processors.  DSSSL can be used with either SGML
or XML DocBook documents though.  If you are going to be using the
FreeBSD Doc Project infrastructure, with its enormous advantage of
"just working" out of the box, then I would suggest sticking with
SGML.

	- Murray