Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:59:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        JacobRhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recover overwritten file

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, JacobRhoden wrote:

> What would need to be in the filesystem to allow it? Surely there is a simple
> solution like a directory which could hold pointers to all 'un' linked files?
> (however i have never hacked a file system so I dont know these things).

And in the meanwhile, the data is overwritten because the filesystem was
already told to reclaim all resources associated with that file.

Some admins uses their own delete methods, like an "rm" replacement that
moves the file to a garbage ("recycle bin") directory (which they could
clean up manually or automatically later).

There are other tools for attempting to recover files. Do some searches on
google -- this has been discussed many, many times.

Have a look at lazarus and unrm with The Coroner's Toolkit (TCT)
http://www.fish.com/tct/

I have played with it before, but I just noticed it is not in the FreeBSD
ports collection.

It seems like I have seen other tools to attempt recovery of data too.

The few times I have had to, I just did a dd of the partition to a new
file (on a different partition). And then used less, grep, and dd again to
find the data.

Of course, that was with data I could easily find, like text documents.
Which reminds me: I also wrote some routines to look for PNG, JPEG, and
GIF headers and was successfully able to "undelete" several images.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/