Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 18:14:14 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Adam Turoff <aturoff@isinet.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd vs. linux and NT chart

At 05:21 PM 3/2/99 -0700, Brett Taylor wrote:

>Hint 1 - no one ASKS people to maintain ports.  Like all of FreeBSD you
>volunteer to help.

I've volunteered on several occasions and did not meet with a warm
response.

>You could certainly volunteer some of your time to try
>to make an a.out ports tree that stays in lockstep w/ the STABLE tree.

Again, you're not being creatve or innovative here. Again, why not
just adapt the Linux emulator to bring in FreeBSD ELFs?

>It's not that it's hard to get it to do ELF _or_ a.out but to be able to
>do BOTH in one system.  Until you actually start trying to maintain some
>ports and do some work in this area, or let Satoshi explain to you in
>simple terms WHY it's hard then it's clear we're not going anywhere.

Then eliminate the need for that. Again, you're not "thinking outside
the box." I think it requires a certain level of maturity to think
in terms of the users who want a stable, tested version rather than
the bleeding edge and accommodate them.

--Brett Glass